Monday, July 19, 2010

Cheap Decor!

So we needed some wall art for Campbell's room, but frankly I hate spending a ton of money of stuff like that. Well, really I hate spending a ton of money on anything. So for a mere $15 bucks, Campbell's got 4 painted canvases, a bow holder, and I was able to use some left over supplies to put little touches around her room. Here's how I spent my money:

2- 2 pack canvases- $3.99e
Ribbon- $3.99
Round plaque- $1.00
Letter C- .99
Little Giraffe plaque- .59
Tacky glue- $1.59

Everything else I already had...which I guess is just the paint brushes, paint and painters tape. And maybe a little creativity. First I taped off 3 canvases. As you know I'm extremely eager, so I forgot to take pictures before I started painting, but I didn't get too far into it...
I taped across all three canvases so they would be the same when hung next to each other. I also taped all 4 sides of each canvas to the paint wouldn't run down the sides...even though it did a little anyway. My tape isn't a very good quality. Next I applied the rest of the paint!
Like I said, I used the same paint on these that I used for the polka dots on the little table. However, I did mix them with white this time to make the colors a little more subtle. Next I let the paint dry (which only took about 15 minutes...or maybe that's all I could wait) and then slowly pulled the painters tape off. This was the finished product!
I really meant for them to be a little more asymmetrical, but oh well. I really like how they turned out. I'm going to hang them above the dresser drawers/changing table. My next project was a bow holder. Here's what I started with (again, I got a little eager and glued the giraffe to the ribbon, oops).
I also got a little eager and glued the C to the wooden circle. I have a problem with this...I'll work on it. Why I didn't paint the C and the plaque individually before I glued them together will forever remain a mystery to me, but nevertheless it didn't happen. It took a while to paint them glued together. See...
Next, I glued on the ribbon and hung that bad boy. Get ready, this is enthralling.
Now I just need some bows to clip on it! So, I had one left over canvas that I felt like I should do something with since I had the colors mixed and ready. Whales are kind of my favorite kiddy animal so I went with that. My inspiration was a picture I saw at Pottery Barn Kids, but wouldn't dare pay $29.99 for it. Mine cost approximately $2.00.
Tada!!! I'm a little bit proud of it. I wasn't happy spending $4 on ribbon so I thought I would find somewhere else to use it in Campbell's room. I had these wire baskets that I put in here closet. I despise them, but after I added the ribbon I have a little bit more love for them.
So after an afternoon of painting and creating, I have to say I am well pleased. As is our bank account and mostly my husband. I just figure the less I spend on this stuff, the more I have to spend on clothes...just kidding honey!!

Just wanted to give a quick CONGRATS to my friend Sarah and her husband Billy. Their new baby boy, Cooper Levi, arrived July 17th and was 9lbs 15oz. Big Boy!!! He's super cute and I can't wait to kiss his cheeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am seriously VERY impressed with your decorating and creativity skills! Amazing!!
It all looks soo cute. = ) I can't wait to come see it all. Cooper said he can't wait to kiss your cheeks too!

Staci said...

Great job! Super cute! Way to be thrifty! Seriously love it!