Sunday, September 5, 2010

Making Bows!

So Derek tells me often that I need a hobby. I don't get offended because, well, it's true. I do. I hope to start sewing in the near future, but until I get the machine I had to think of something else. So, with a little inspiration (ok, maybe a lot) from some other blogs (ie: http://www.heatherbailey.typepad.com/) I decided on bow making. I mean, I'm having a little girl, so it was only a logical thought! haha. Anyway....I headed to Michael's for some 29 cent pieces of felt and a $5 thing of buttons and was on my way! Well, I meant to also buy the little alligator hair clips too, but got too excited and left without buying them. Oh well, next time.
Once I got home I started snipping and sewing. Within 10 minutes I had made my first 'bow' for mere pennies! Want to see it? Here it is....
Above are the pieces I cut. The finished product......
Derek wasn't too fond of it. However, he doesn't see the practicality of a white bow...but he will soon enough. After making this bow I kind of just went crazy and only pricked my finger about 331 times. Here's what my hard work got me....

Halloween Bow!!!!!The were all really simple to make. The Button Bow above definitely took the longest to make (and definitely contributed to my 331 finger pricks) but I think it's really cute. And honestly, how many little girls will you see with this bow? Not many....unless their dads were telling their moms to get a hobby too. I plan to put a lot of them on headbands. I also made a special bow for my friend Emily's little girl Layla. I got the tutorial off the blog I mentioned above. I was able to use fabric I already had and the materials I bought at Michael's. Here it is...
I know these are bows and seem so trivial (and they really are), but Derek was right...hobbies are fun and entertaining!! I'm off to try my hand at a few more...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whit those are so cute...you have always been the creative type! When you get your sewing machine you can start making baby quilts...and we can do that together!! I love to sew simple things but simply don't have the time now. Anyways...CUTE bows!

Anonymous said...

I really really like the pink one and the one with the buttons! Adorable! I am sad I missed you the other day!